Monday, April 13, 2009

Musings About Open Theism...

Open Theism claims that propositions about future free human actions have no truth value, thus God cannot know the future (His omniscience means that He can know all true things and believe no false things).

To which I say: Poor God.

Let me illustrate:
I work at a camp and often times I lead 45 minute trail rides of 10-12 horses and riders through the hilly woods of East Texas. Sounds idyllic, doesn't it?

However, when you get a dozen animals together with less-than-stellar riders on their backs, mishaps are bound to occur.

Horse #3 bites the rear of horse #2, causing horse #2 to run off the trail. Horse #6 stops to eat leaves from a tree, horse #7 bumps into it from behind, horse #6 kicks the face of horse #7, causing horse #6 to jump, scaring riders #6 and #7 who scream and further startle their horses. Horse #8 passionately hates horse #10, and cuts out of line to aggressively attack horse #10 (yes, this happens). Horse #11 invariably decides at some point that he will walk no further [ahead], and turns around and attempts to head back to the barn. Horse #9 decides to jump a ditch; rider falls; everyone panics, causing horses to scatter; thankfully, rider is okay, but gathering everyone back up is a mess. Horse #5 steps out of line and when I ride up to bring him back in, he kicks me = big bruise.

What can I do? I can't read their naughty little minds! No matter how much time I spend strategizing (yes, I spend a ridiculous amount of time in planning the order of the trail ride, as in, which horses should follow one another for minimum pandemonium), the autonomous decisions of the horses (coupled with lack of guidance from their riders) throw my plans to the winds.

I am left to constantly react to the horses' free actions, attempt to thwart their possible future wrongdoing, and reorganize my plans to fit in with their behavior.

Which is why I say, pity God if those are the depths to which His omniscience must sink... Hand Him some advil for the stress headaches that I can attest will follow...

1 comment: